Last updated on August 23rd, 2021 at 09:34 am
This article will show you how to build your freelance website.
In fact, this is the same blueprint top-earning freelancers in India followed to create sites that attract high-paying clients.
Did you know that India ranks as the 2nd largest freelance workforce after the US?
That is right.
Currently, over 15 million people are working independently online in India.
And most of them are working within these sectors;
- IT and programming
- Sales and marketing
- Content and academic writing.
By 2020, 50% of people are expected to join the freelancing industry.
This begs the question; why is this happening?
Besides the chase for freedom and not being bogged down to a desk somewhere working 9-5, most freelancers in India understand that there is a lot of money to be made online.
The biggest challenge facing freelancing in India
Here is the thing;
As more and more people go freelance in India, it poses a problem of competition.
From now on, getting work will be harder than when fewer people were working from home in India.
And if you’d wish to turn this into a serious business pulling income per month, your only option is to earn more.
Now, that is easier said than done.
In fact, you almost have only two options to achieve that;
One, charge more.
By charging more, you make more money with the same amount of time invested.
That may sound like the perfect way to go.
Often, this backfires as clients may start shunning your work.
The second and most effective way is to attract your ideal clients.
You need to find a way to woe more clients your way consistently.
These are the clients willing to pay more for your skills.
That is where a freelance website comes in.
With it, you can showcase your work samples.
And then keep sending clients to view your portfolio in there, if they like what they see, you get hired.
Think of it as your 24/7 sales machine.
And today, you are going to learn how to build your freelance website in India.
What you need before building a freelance website in India
Before you get down to building your freelance website in India, here are some things you need;
- A domain name – preferably your name. For example; KevinFreelancer.in. This should go a long way to establishing your brand and freelance business in India.
- Hosting account – there are different types of web hosting in India. As someone just starting out, you may find shared hosting of value. As your business grows, consider upgrading to VPS hosting.
- Services offered – after all, this the product you are promoting. And the best way to showcase your services is by displaying work samples. For example; if you are a photographer, have a section showing your latest work.
With these at hand, you are ready to build your freelance website in India.
What should be included in a freelance website?
You should remember that a freelance website is there to act as a 24/7 sales machine for your business.
As such, make sure you have the following things in place;
- Services section – this is where visitors can get to understand the services you are offering. You may also include pricing if you find it helpful. If not, include a way for your potential clients to inquire about the same.
- Portfolio section – showcase your previous work. Remember the clients judge you based on what you have already delivered. Make sure they are of the best quality.
- Testimonies – talk to your previous clients to leave an honest review of your work, preferably, video. Then publish on your website. Testimonies and reviews increase conversion rates.
- About page – this helps potential clients understand who you are as a person. Make it detailed as possible.
- Contact details – how will the clients contact you? Include your phone number and an email address. Also, you can use a contact form. Just install the Contact Form 7 plugin to help with the setup.
These are the things you should include in your freelance website in India.
With these things, your potential client has everything they need to decide whether to hire you or pass.
And if they choose the former, they have the means to reach you.
How To Start A Freelancing Website in India
#1 – register a website name
You need to register your preferred domain name.
This way, no one else can snatch it from you.
Again, it is recommended you use your names as the address.
Now, only use the .IN domain extension if you are only working with clients within India.
But if you are accepting work from different parts of the world, using a .COM domain is perfect.
Other extensions to consider include;
#2 – add hosting account
A hosting account comes with all the resources you need to start your freelance website in India.
You get disk space. This is where you can store things like images, articles, and code among other files.
Also, you get a control panel.
This is the central place you will need to control your website.
Now, there are different types of hosting accounts in India.
And often, they vary depending on your budget.
If you are working on a shoe-string budget, consider cheaper options like shared web hosting in India.
With a little bit of enough budget, acquiring a VPS is perfect.
Gives you enough storage, RAM, and bandwidth to run an optimized freelance website in India.
#3 – Install WordPress
First, it is free.
Secondly, allows you to customize your blog to your liking.
You can use plugins to achieve special functionalities on your freelance blog in India.
To install it, head over to your control panel.
Find an app called Softaculous and click on WordPress.
This is an app installer and will help add wp to your domain fast and easily.
Complete the settings by providing the blog title and description.
It may look different than this, but the basics are the same.
Once done, click on Install.
#4 – Add a new theme
After the installation is complete, log into your dashboard.
If you do not like the current theme, go ahead and change it.
WordPress comes with a theme marketplace.
Some are free, while others are premium.
For now, you can pick a free one.
Here are some of the best wordpress themes for freelance websites in India;
Themes give your website an impressive and inviting look.
As such, make sure to pick the most appealing theme for your freelance website in India.
#5 – Install Plugins
Plugins allow you to have extra functionality on your site.
Here are some of the recommended plugins for freelance website;
- Shake – send, sign, or create legal agreements with your clients
- Updraft Plus WordPress Backup Plugin – for backing up your website
- WP Review – Reviews help you gain more exposure, reviews help others understand how your services work, and how qualified you are for a particular job.
- FreshBooks – can act as your manager by organizing your accounts for you.
These and more others should help make your life easier as a freelancer in India.
#6 – Create Pages
When learning how to build your freelance website, these are the pages you will need;
- About Page
- Services Page
- Portfolio Page
- Testimonials Page
- Contact Page
#7 – Start Publishing Articles
Posts help you be found.
They are indexable by search engines, thus giving your exposure.
At the same time, publishing articles also help reinforce your credibility as an authority in your niche.
This way, you can start attracting potential clients to your website.
Which freelancing site is best for beginners?
Having a freelance website is not enough to make you money, well, at first.
As such, you should start looking for work somewhere else.
Here are some of the top places you can find freelance work in India;
Visit the websites and create an account.
And after approval, you can start sending proposals.
Do freelancers in India need a website?
Yes, having a website boosts your chances of making more money.
It sets you apart from the crowd and establishes you as an expert in your field.
At the same time, having a freelance website in India helps you generate leads on autopilot.
Here are some other reasons to create a freelance website in India;
- Allows you to showcase your work
- Exposes your brand to more potential clients
- You can make more money through advertising (Google Adsense)
There is no doubt you need a website as a freelancer in India.
And in this guide on how to build your freelance website, you have learned everything you need to create one as soon as possible.
Remember, as time goes, your website will start growing.
From here, you can explore other ripe opportunities to generate more leads and make more money.
One more thing;
Regardless of your expertise, you will need a website.
Go ahead and get started here now with domain registration and hosting account.
And that is how to build your freelance website.